Gold Fields’ vision, driven at the highest level by CEO Nick Holland, is “To be the global leader in sustainable gold mining”. Translated, leadership in sustainable gold mining for us means being the company of choice for all our stakeholders which includes investors, employees, communities and society in general. Sustainability in this context also means building mines across the world, operating them profitably over life of mine and creating shared value for all our stakeholders.
OUR VISION IS TO BE THE GLOBAL LEADER IN SUSTAINABLE GOLD MINING
Unpacking our vision
“The global leader...”
- We don’t want to be the biggest, but we do want to be the best at everything we do
- We seek to create the greatest enduring value from gold mining for all of our stakeholders, including our employees, our communities, our shareholders and our host governments
- We are gold industry leaders in understanding our stakeholders’ needs and responding to them
- Through living our values, we consistently deliver what we promise
- If we cannot mine safely, we will not mine
- We seek to enhance the environments in which we operate, and limit the impact that mining can cause
- We are committed to creating “shared value” for all our stakeholders. This is our legacy and we measure ourselves against this
- We are a gold miner – we produce gold (and by-products where they exist)
- We believe in our product and do not hedge gold
International standards and principles
Our vision is supported by our adherence to a number of external standards and international principles and memberships of associations as follows:
The Paris Pledge for ActionGold Fields Limited has joined L’Appel de Paris / the Paris Pledge for Action to support the global call from [business/cities/civil society groups/investors/regions/trade unions] for a credible, coherent and unmistakable signal that the Paris Agreement will be implemented and commitments met, or even better, exceeded. We urge other [business/cities/civil society groups/investors/regions/trade unions] to also call for action and join the Paris Pledge for Action
International Council on Mining & MetalsICMM - Our Sustainable Development Framework is guided by the International Council on Mining and Metals’ (ICMM) 10 Principles on sustainable development and the supporting position statements. Gold Fields alignment with the 10 principles and the mandatory position statements is annualy assured by an independent external assurance provider.
The Global CompactUNGC - We are guided by the principles advocated by the United Nations Global Compact (UNGC), in which we are a participant. This includes implementation of the Ten Principles in our business activities and our annual submission of a Communication on Progress (COP)
OHSAS 18001 Health & Safety StandardsAll our operations are certified to the OHSAS 18001 international safety management standard.