South Africa Region
South Deep is designed to access and exploit one of the largest gold ore bodies in the world. Its rebasing process has a strong operational process to deliver ramp-up, sustained steady state production and targeted cash-flow.
- Despite the execution of the full mining value chain being suboptimal the focus on the ‘Journey to Operational Excellence” for cultural and operational improvement is gaining traction
- Progress was made on several technical fronts:
- Implementation of the mining method received support from the Geotechnical Review Board (GRB)
- Marginal year-on-year improvements in long-hole stoping and destress mining volumes (both plus 3%)
- Global stability of destress cut excavations validating the geotechnical design
- Extraction of secondary stopes in the older current mine
- Improved backfilling practices
- A more gradual build up to steady state production of circa 230kt/month and approximately 500koz by 2022 is now expected
For more information on the operations/projects, view the online 2017 Mineral Reserves and Resources Report.