Materials and Supply Chain Stewardship
At Gold Fields, the procurement of goods and services is governed by an overarching Group Policy Statement, on materials and supply chain stewardship. Refer: https://www.goldfields.com/policies.php
Gold Fields strives to undertake materials and supply chain stewardship activities in a manner that is sustainable and adheres to internationally recognised practice.
Materials and supply chain stewardship refers to how we choose and procure the materials we use to produce our product and what we do with those materials, their waste and our product.
To attain this vision, Gold Fields is committed to:
- Integrating all aspects of materials and supply chain stewardship into how we work;
- Complying with regulatory requirements and obligations relating to industry rules, codes and standards to which we subscribe;
- Sourcing goods and/or services required in support of our operations from socially responsible and sustainable suppliers and contractors;
- Encouraging our business partners, particularly suppliers and contractors, to adopt similar practices with regards to sustainable development;
- Securing and maintaining sustainable and value-driven relationships with our business partners;
- Continually optimising and improving our processes to ensure ongoing responsible and sustainable sourcing practices;
- Sourcing, transporting, utilising, reusing and disposing of materials responsibly, giving due consideration to environmental, social, health and safety considerations and requirements;
- Supporting the economies of our host communities and operating countries through the local procurement of goods and services;
- Ensuring that our product does not contribute to unlawful armed conflict, human rights abuses or breaches of international humanitarian law through application of the World Gold Council's Conflict-Free Gold Standard;
- Only using International Cyanide Management Code-certified companies for cyanide supply and transportation; and
- Engaging with relevant stakeholders in an open manner regarding materials and supply chain stewardship.
Everyone working for, on behalf of, and third parties to Gold Fields' operations plays an active role in achieving these commitments by:
- Taking ownership of responsible materials and supply chain stewardship programmes and initiatives;
- Integrating responsible materials and supply chain stewardship into everyday practice; and
- Adhering to Gold Fields' materials and supply chain stewardship Group Policy Statement.
Supplier Evaluation and Assessment
Gold Fields' preference is to work with suppliers who share a similar commitment to sustainable development. In evaluating proposals or bid submissions, we look for (and preference) suppliers who demonstrate a willingness to embed sustainable supply chain practices throughout their own supply chains.
Prioritising Host Community Procurement and Employment
Gold Fields is committed to prioritizing local procurement and employment and measuring our contribution to local economic development. In this regard:
- Gold Fields measures operational-level local (i.e. in-country) and host community expenditure.
- Through Gold Fields' social and labour plan in South Africa, we are committed to numerous local economic development projects that develop local suppliers.
- Gold Fields' shared value projects in Australia, Chile, Ghana, Peru and South Africa are focused on developing host community suppliers and enterprise development.
Creating Shared Value
Gold Fields is committed to remaining at the forefront of sustainable procurement best practice.
To this end, Gold Fields' Supply Chain teams endeavour to:
- Embed ESG, and governance and compliance language and obligations in tender/contract documentation;
- Harness the Company's collective purchasing power to achieve social outcomes beyond the products and services required by our operations, particularly in the host communities in which we operate;
- Increase human rights due diligence efforts with respect to our supply chain; and
- Where possible, maximize expenditure with host community businesses, and actively supporting their development.