INVESTORS AND MEDIA In the news
Group Head of Tailings appointed
Thursday, 19 September 2019
In recognition of the critical importance of the management of our tailings dams, we have appointed a Group Head of Tailings within the Group Technical Services team. Johan Boshoff has joined us at the Perth office and will be the discipline leader and subject matter expert for all our tailings storage facilities (TSFs). Johan is a geotechnical engineer with 25 years’ experience.
Quick facts about Johan
- Highest qualification: Master’s degree in Geotechnical Engineering from the University of Pretoria in South Africa
- Countries where he has worked: South Africa, West and Central Africa, Australasia, Asia and Latin America.
- Most recent work: Engineer of Record for BHP Western Australia Iron Ore operations and the Design Lead for multiple TSFs owned and operated by Rio Tinto, including the Oyu Tolgoi copper mine in Mongolia.
- Not new to Gold Fields: Johan has worked with us as engineering consultancy Golder’s Technical Lead for the Granny Smith and Lepanto TSF independent reviews and studies.
- Sharing knowledge: He is also an author of numerous publications, conference and working papers dealing with tailings engineering aspects and mine waste.
At a time when the industry is in the spotlight over its tailings management, following the Brumadinho tragedy in Brazil in January this year, we are lucky to have a manager of his experience and talent joining the team.
Welcome on board, Johan!
Back to previous page